16 Jan Bright Roofs are Lighting Up the Sky This Year
Blues, crisp whites and metals for the top of the house are trending in 2018
When it comes to exterior home design, the use of color is usually reserved for the front door, window shutters or siding — often leaving the roof a bit plain.
But the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA), says brightly hued roofs are the emerging trend for 2018, with owners opting for deep blues, vivid reds or crisp whites. And if color is still “too much,” MRA says copper, stainless steel and titanium roofs add variety without having to commit to a single shade.
“In years past, the tendency has been towards earth tones and subtle colors that blend in,” said MRA executive director Renee Ramey in a press release. “This year, homeowners are seeking out bolder shades that draw attention and make their home distinctive. People are getting creative and they are finding that the latest shades of metal roofing options allow them to do just that.”
Although it’s tempting to simply go with the trend, MRA suggests following these five steps before slathering your roof in paint:
- View your chosen roofing option at different times of the day and in different weather conditions (if possible), since the color will look slightly different based on the lighting.
- Think about your climate — certain roof materials hold up better in warmer or colder weather patterns. MSA says white metal roofs do well in hot, sunny locales since they reflect light better than black asphalt shingles. The result is a roof that’s 50 to 60 degrees cooler … and lower energy bills.
- Although a home’s design is very personal, homeowners should still consider the overall style and vibe of their neighborhood so the roof doesn’t stick out too much when it comes time to sell.
- Choose a material that will age well, such as copper, which will develop a patina over time.
- Before committing to a final choice, use an augmented reality (AR) tool to see how various options will look.
Read More Via Inman.com